© Armin Keller  
 
 
 
 
 
History
 

On the 27th of October 1790, Alexander Josef Carl Thaddäus Stürtzel von Buchheim dies childless. His death brings about the end of the Stürtzel lineage, and thus the Stürtzel legacy dating back to 1491. In 1764, Empress Maria Theresia had already determined General Heinrich Ludwig, Baron of Schackmin as successor.
This signifies the beginning of the history associated with the Hugstetter castle and castle park.
Parts of the village were still situated within the park at this time, including a few houses and an inn overlooking the mill stream.

Heinrich Ludwig, Baron of Schackmin did indeed assume his heritage; however, he died barely 2 years later. Entitlements to

the tenure in Buchheim were not only granted to the baron, but also to his siblings and their male descendants.
As Heinrich Ludwig died childless, Franz Stephan of Schackmin, his nephew, assumes inheritance of the Buchheim tenure in 1792.

 

In 1792 or 1793 Franz Stephan of Schackmin commences construction of the new Hugstetter castle.
The onset of the Revolutionary Wars halts construction and building did not resume again until the death of Franz Stephan on October 28th, 1801.

Konrad Friedrich, Baron of Andlau-Birseck, was also directly affected by the French Revolution.
In 1792, French revolutionary troops attacked the principality of Basel and Konrad of Andlau is forced to leave the family seat in Arlesheim. He flees to Freiburg .
There he marries Baroness Sophie of Schackmin in 1798, daughter and only child of Franz Stephan of Schackmin,

landlord of Hugstetten.
Construction of the castle in Hugstetten continues under Konrad Andlau, ultimately leading him to move there in 1810, although the building does not seem to be completed until 1830.

As well as overseeing construction of the castle, Konrad Andlau also sets about changing the surroundings. He extends the manorial estate, and with that the houses still standing by the stream gradually disappear. This also includes the old guesthouse “Zum Roessle”. A new guesthouse “Rotes Kreuz” is built as a replace-

    ment just outside of the park, where it remains to this day.
 

In 1804 Konrad buys the mill – now known as “Teuffels Kueche”.
He buys up fields, pastures and grape-growing areas relentlessly, eventually owning the entire front “Muehlberg”. Konrad's goal was to create an enclosed commercial and recreational area with an “English” style.
The country park in Arlesheim, which was still under family ownership, will have served as a model. Additional elements are introduced to the park between the cultivated areas, for example the pavilion in 1824, and in 1829 the “Belvedere” on the hill.
By the time of Konrad von Andlau's death in 1839, the country park would have been largely completed.

 

Heinrich Bernhard of Andlau, the youngest of Konrad and Sophie's four children, continued work on the country park following Konrad's death.
His contributions included a “wash house” with bathroom built by the stream.

 
 
Home
History
Garden Plan
Photogallery
Art and Poetry
News
Location
Contact
Imprint
March Municipal Association
Homepage of the Community of March
The Eremitage of Arlesheim
Further Links
Follow us at: